Our School Community
The school originated in the 1880's, when it was located in the heart of Felpham village. The building was erected in 1887 and this has now become mews houses. This "old school" was built largely through the generosity of Bishop Tufnell, a previous incumbent of Felpham, after whom our school is named.
The school today
The present building dates from 1973. The school comprises nine class bases, a spacious hall, a well-stocked library, a computer suite and administrative accommodation. There is a hard-surfaced playground which our Parents’ Association has improved for the children with markings and seating. We also have a large field which is increasingly used to enrich the curriculum, and a pond area and wildlife garden which are used to support the children’s learning. We have installed a greenhouse so that the children can be directly involved with growing and caring for plants. Some years we we even grow extra vegetables to sell at our school fayres!
In 2008 Bishop Lindsay opened our new buildings. We added a lovely bright new main entrance to the school and a new school office. Staff have their extended staffroom where they can have a very well earned break! Our favourite addition is our fantastic Library for children to enhance their love of books. We are very fortunate to be able to work and play in a welcoming comfortable and exciting environment.
In 2015, the governors of Bishop Tufnell CE Infant and Junior Schools entered into a new partnership together under an Executive Headteacher (Mr Shane Morton) with a Head of School (Miss Sara Walker) at the Infant School,
Our Voluntary Aided status
Our school is Voluntary Aided, which means that it was established, and is owned, by a Voluntary body - in this case the Church. As such the Church is able to retain a measure of control over various aspects of the life of the school. We are part of the community of Felpham and Middleton-on-Sea, and the clergy are regular visitors in school.
The partnership between the LEA and the Church is reflected in the composition of the Governing Body, which must, by law, be biased towards the Foundation Governors (those appointed through the Church). The Foundation Governors are appointed to ensure, as far as is practicable, that the Christian character of the school is preserved and developed and the rectors of the two Churches in the Parish are both members of the Governing Body.
In addition to the strategic responsibilities of all school Governors, those of Aided schools also:
- are the employers of the staff in the school
- are responsible for the provision, maintenance and improvement of the school building. A 90% grant towards the cost of Capital projects is made by the Department for Education and Skills, but the Governing Body is responsible for raising the 10% and parents are invited to support Governors' finance each time.
- decide the admission criteria in conjunction with the LEA and must make arrangements for appeals against any decision not to admit a child
- have responsibility for religious education in the school
- decide dates of terms and times of school sessions (normally in line with the LEA)
- control occupation and use of the school premises when not required for school use.